Sunday, March 25, 2012

Mad Men Cake

This week's Artistic Fling is inspired by the Mad Men season 5 premiere that is happening in about an hour and a half! I'm so excited. In honor the the premiere, my friend and I are having a party! I love baking and love decorating cakes so I decided this party is a great excuse to make a cake and an Artist Fling. 

Naturally, I choose to feature the draping Don Draper featured in the opening title sequence of the series. While making the cake I realized I didn't have any black food coloring, a necessity in creating the draping Don. Fortunately I had black crystal sprinkles. I iced the cake with white buttercream frosting then printed out a picture of draping Don. I placed the printout on the cake and traced the silhouette. I then dumped the black crystals inside the outline and moved them to fill the shape with a toothpick. To make the MadMen logo, I tried using a printed cut out of the logo as a stencil and sprinkle the sprinkles inside. Wrong- Do not do this. It does not work. So I just free handed it.

I love decorating cakes so I will continue to practice this artistic medium. Enjoy the pictures!






No comments:

Post a Comment