Monday, March 12, 2012

Girls Like Pretty Things



A few weeks ago I came across a student package design for Tampons. I have completely been obsessing over these for about 2 weeks now. I wish they really existed so I could rush to the store and stock up for "that time of the month." When it comes to feminine hygiene products, girls tend to be brand loyal. Well, at least I am. If I saw these babies sitting on a shelf next to my brand I would purchase this other brand without any hesitation, even if it meant shelling out a few more dollars. 



That, my friends, is called design. That it was it's all about. Taking design and applying it to the audience that will be viewing it. Why would you want to make boxes of tampons covered with frilly flowers and pinks and purples? Every other box on the shelf is doing that same thing. In a world where women are constantly changing why would an exclusively women's product keep with the same attitude and  identity that they have had for the past 40 years. Women have a say now. They want to be recognized as powerful, strong, and fashionable. Why not translate those attributes into design for the packaging on a product women will inevitably buy?

Now let me tell you why I love these designs. They look nothing like tampons. The last thing any woman wants to do is buy tampons. It's not fun. When purchasing tampons, the guy behind the register knows exactly what you're going to do with them. It's no secret. So every month women buy these embarrassing products. Not only do we have to carry them around the store but we have to carry them around in our purses, pockets, and gym bags it for a whole week. If I have to look at these puppies for a whole week and try and hide them from male coworkers, it would be much more pleasing to do so with a great pattern on the wrapper. Even if you have a mishap and your tampons come into view at least the packaging can distract viewers from your clumsiness. 

To sum it all up, girls like pretty things. Just look at our fashion choices. We change the colors we wear with every season. It seems ridiculous that tampon packaging has relatively stayed the same for the last few decades. I can bet that if tampon packaging changed colors every season women would love them and maybe even buy them.

Oh! By the way, this package design was made by a student designer named Heda Hokschirr. Take a look at her website cargocollective.com/hedahokschirr.

No comments:

Post a Comment