Saturday, January 12, 2013

Chalk Art

It's been a crazy past few weeks. I went home to visit the fam, moved my roomie out, finished up my internship, and I'm getting ready to start my new job. I've also started a whole bunch of new projects for the new year. I have so many goals and things that I  want to accomplish this year and I'm so excited to be posting them as artistic flings.

But first, I wanted to start with this week's artistic fling- Chalk Art. I've been seeing a lot of it lately and I wanted to try my hand at it.

Now, I'm not really trained in creating letterforms but there's no better time to start practicing and trying like now. I found a quote online, one that is particularly resonating with my life. I sketched it out on paper. So I don't have a fancy chalkboard wall or anything but I do have a black table. It isn't matte or anything. It's a normal table. You, know, the kind that has that plastic wood-like veneer on it. So I grabbed a piece of chalk to make sure it would work. It didn't really work that well so I wetted the chalk. It worked good enough.

I then took my handy-dandy ruler and a pencil and started coping my sheet of paper onto the table. I had an eraser handy incase of accidents. When I was finished, I grabbed my chalk and started tracing the pencil markings. This whole process sounds so easy but it took me a good 2 hours. There are lots of problem with the chalk. If you accidentally bump it with your finger or elbow, you have to retrace it. If you do it to a letterform or any thin line, you have to erase the whole line and redraw it. Sometimes the chalk wouldn't cooperate and make the marks in the exact width you wanted them to be made. But with patience, it worked.



I then decided to take a picture of it and turn the quote into a vector image in order to make posters or whatever. This is also a process that sounds a lot easier and faster than it really is. I created these posters that will be available for sale in the near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment