Wednesday, April 22, 2015

My New Adventure: Owning a Home

I closed on my first home on April 3. I've taken the last few weeks to move in and make the place my own. After a lot of painting, numerous trips up three flights of stairs, and many many uber rides home from Home Depot, I am officially ready to reveal my new home!!

I thought it would be really fun to show before and after pics. The before pics are the ones that were used to list the property when it was on the market. The after pics were taken with my little iPhone 6 camera… So please bare with the amateur photography.


So let's start with the Living Room!


Now the Kitchen!


Here's my bedroom!
 

And the spare bedroom / my office!

The Bathroom!


And of course, the deck!



There are a few things in my new home that came with the place and other things that I purchased. I just wanted to show them off!

Shower Organizer from Target

Custom shelving installed by yours truly and Loren! from Home Depot and Ikea
The tallboy dresser is from the Randolph Street Market

My matching set of Lane side tables from Furniture Underground

Sleek laundry hamper from West Elm

Shelving came with the place and various prints from Brika.com and Grunt Monkey.

Origami Curtains from Target

Awesome inverted shelves from Ikea.


Key holder clock from West Elm

Dish drying rack from Ikea

My succulent stand from West Elm

This whole process of home buying was amazing, scary, exciting, frustrating, and awesome. At the end of the day I have so many people to thank for helping me get through this process!!

My amazing realtor Stephanie Sullivan. Call or email her if you start looking to buy in the Chicagoland area. She is nothing short of amazing. I can't even start to express how grateful I am to her.

My mortgage agent Jeff Coole. He helped me with so many rookie questions and helped me understand more about the mortgage approval process. He was there for me every step of the way… even when my closing day was the same week his first child was born.

Miss Megan Russell. This lady sat by me every day at work and answered all my silly little questions! Not only did she refer me to the best realtor in the city of Chicago, help me find home owners insurance, and give me a kitchen table, but she was just there when I needed someone who understood what I was going through.

Loren's parents Phill and Mary Olsen. The talented Phill Olsen slaved away two weekends in a row changing locks, removing shelves, repairing shotty workmanship, installing bathroom cabinets, and making the living room curtains look perfect. Mary was there day one helping me unpack all the boxes and organizing my kitchen. These guys can't even imagine how helpful they were. That being said, Phill does some great work. Handy man is an understatement. If you need anything repaired in your place, let me know and I will pass along his info.

Then there was Linzi South and Sam Stivers. Both of them let me use there cars to make Home Depot and Ikea runs. Letting me use their cars for just a few hours saved me hundreds of dollars in rental fees.

And most of all, my amazing, patient, strong, and incredibly understanding better half, Loren. He went on almost every single apartment showing with me. He held me when I got frustrated with the buying process. He helped me make lists of pros and cons so I could decide which place I liked more. He moved my whole apartment up three flights of stairs. In one day. He was excited for me the day I got the keys and is still excited when I talk about how much I love my new vacuum. This process would have seriously sucked without him.

Home buying is a crazy yet super rewarding process. If you have any questions about the process, please let me know. I would love to help you out!

The house warming is in a few weeks and I can't wait for everyone to see the place!!

No comments:

Post a Comment